Saturday 28 November 2009

Belief in Propositions, Bertrand Russell (1935) On the Value of Scepticism


Bertrand Russell (1935). On the Value of Scepticism
"I wish to propose for the reader's favourable consideration a doctrine which may, I fear, appear wildly paradoxical and subversive. The doctrine in question is this: that it is undesirable to believe a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. I must, of course, admit that if such an opinion became common it would completely transform our social life and our political system: since both are at present faultless, this must weigh against it. I am also aware (what is more serious) that it would tend to diminish the incomes of clairvoyants, bookmakers, bishops and others who live on the irrational hopes of those who have done nothing to deserve good fortune here or hereafter. In spite of these grave arguments, I maintain that a case can be made out for my paradox, and I shall try to set it forth." ~ Bertrand Russell (1935)

Tags:
1935 - Arguments - Belief - Bertrand Russell - Bishop - Bookmaker - Clairvoyant - Good Fortune - Irrational - Irrational Hopes - Opinion - Paradox - Propositions - Scepticism - Subversive - True


Posted by ALCHEssMIST & Alchemipedia.

No comments: